Zia IslamCoordinator, External Relations and Executive Assistant
Prof. Lawrence Stephen AbelnDean
Asian Institute of Technology - School of Management
AIT School of Management (SOM) was established in October 1987 to meet the growing needs in Asia for graduate management education. In line with AIT’s mission, SOM’s objective is to make a difference in the quality of management education and practices in the Asia-Pacific region leading to sustainable development, technological leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, wealth creation and pride. SOM believes in the development of corporate leaders not just for the present but also for the future to face the challenges posed by the dramatic social, economic, political and technological changes in Asia. The programs at SOM offer a unique competitive advantage to managers and future leaders in the region.
Our Mission is to develop socially responsible and visionary leaders who can steer sustainable business growth for the prosperity of Asia and beyond.
Our Vision is to become the leading creator and disseminator of Asian management knowledge, practices and values.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- AIT School of Management offering the top ranking MBA in Thailand. The MBA curriculum is a comprehensive program designed to provide conceptual, analytical and personal skills to help prepare participants to be effective managers in an international business environment. It is interdisciplinary, combining elements from engineering, economics, social psychology and management fields.
The curriculum provides MBA participants to design their own study plans, an attractive feature for prospective employers of AIT MBA graduates. In addition to the strong foundation courses, the MBA program offers a wide range of electives which allow participants a choice of either specializing in an area or selecting a wide range of courses.
Our MBA program encourages participative learning and uses a variety of interactive learning methodologies so that the students are able to learn latest management concepts, techniques and tools, and more importantly, to develop skills and attitude of listening and understanding others, holistic thinking, collective decision making, communicating and negotiating.
- Minimum Requirement
- hold a bachelor’s degree (4 years) or its equivalent, in an appropriate field of study from an institution of recognized standing;
- minimum CGPA 2.75 in undergraduate degree;
- possess an acceptable level of English proficiency*.
- Minimum one year relevant work experience (critical for scholarship award)
- Scholarship applicants may be required to appear for an admission test.
- *AIT programs are conducted in English language, the Institute’s official medium of all communication. Applicants need to produce evidence of proficiency in English by submitting one of the following international test scores: TOEFL, IELTS, or TOEIC. The expected scores are: TOEFL Internet-based 79/ computer-based 213/ paper-based 550; IELTS 6.0; TOEIC 750.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
- The PhD program at the School of Management is committed to advanced studies and research by candidates who will devote themselves to academic and research activities in universities and research centers across Asia. The PhD program caters to the needs of the academic institutions in Asia and personalities who want to open up an academic career. It is thus ideally suited for the development of educators and education administrators. Besides acquiring a well-recognized, reputable research degree, during their academic venture at AIT PhD students tap into the School’s unique international resources. The School has a rich, diverse community from around the world; the PhD students can draw on a cross-cultural faculty from multiple disciplines. They study and work together in a class of international students and they learn to support each other. Teamwork and collaboration is fostered, and this companionship can be part of the academic network that is so vital for a research oriented academic. In addition AIT PhD students gain access to an extensive alumni network around the world. With its PhD program AIT offers universities in Thailand and around Asia a unique opportunity for faculty development. Universities and research institutions who send their faculty or staff members to AIT take advantage of the PhD program’s emphasis on excellence in research, teaching and education management in Asia. Participation of universities’ faculty in the PhD program encourages and supports the upgrading, extending and enriching of the home institute’s or future employing institute’s own undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as their research activities. AIT strives to accommodate specific needs of all universities with specific arrangements.
- Minimum Requirement
- Strong academic record on the graduate level in management or economics or relevant field of study (minimum GPA of 3.50 or equivalent).
- To apply for the AIT fellowship eligible doctoral students must have attained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in their undergraduate program, and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 in their master’s program.
- Submission of a brief dissertation research proposal including the required research facilities, if necessary
- Applicants with strong academic credentials in fields other than management are encouraged to apply. They are required to take additional coursework at AIT.
- Participants who do not meet the PhD admission requirements might enter in the Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) program first which can qualify for entry in the PhD program
- Eligible PhD applicants who wish to apply for PhD fellowship the priority should be given to those applicants who are intended to do research in one of the 5 sub-thematic areas under the thematic area of “The Business and Innovation Models for a Green Economy”
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) is a doctoral program for senior professional managers/administrators. It combines coursework and research investigations. The mission of the DBA Program is to create the body of knowledge embedded in practice, and the ultimate vision is to develop and disseminate management theories, grounded in the Asian business practices and experiences, including case studies and industry analyses. The DBA curriculum is designed based on the needs and preferences of industry experts. It is interdisciplinary, integrative and adopts a holistic approach.
The required course work is structured into three perspectives: Research Methodology, Knowledge Building and Research Specialization including Thesis writing component. The program will provide an opportunity to practicing managers to investigate the ongoing practices of the Asian companies and develop new contextual theories, or theories that will complement those built around the practices of the Western companies. There are several companies in Asia which have excellent performance and have deviated from established practices in the West. Hence, they provide excellent opportunity for research and developing new management paradigms or theories entrenched in Asian practices.
- Minimum Requirement
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience, of which at least 3 years’ experience in senior management/administrative position. Candidates with significant experience in senior positions but less than 10 years of overall experience may be considered.
- MBA/EMBA from recognised academic institutions or corporate universities.
- Other Master’s degree subject to the completion of MBA-level required courses as specified by the DBA program faculty. However, for students with 15 years’ work experience, of which 7 years’ experience in senior management/ administrative position, the additional completion of MBA-level required courses, may be exempted.
- Proof of proficiency in English language.
- A letter from CEO/head of organizations supporting the candidate’s application and research work.
- A write-up on research motivation and proposed research theme.